test123

London Victoria Station reopens with major disruption after fire alarm sounded

London Victoria Station reopens with major disruption after fire alarm sounded

London Victoria station was evacuated due to a fire alarm this afternoon (Tuesday, August 6). It went off shortly before 7.40pm this evening, according to reports, as crowds gathered outside the main station entrance.

It has now reopened with major disruption expected into the night.

Gatwick Express and Southern services are affected.

Most Gatwick Express trains are cancelled.

Some Southern trains are diverted and running to or from London Bridge.

Other Southern trains are being terminated before arriving at Victoria or being cancelled.

Follow our live updates below

Get the latest travel news from London's roads, trains and buses with our new London Traffic and Travel newsletter. You can sign up HERE.

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

2 dolphins found dead in River Thames after struggling against tide

2 dolphins found dead in River Thames after struggling against tide

Two dolphins were found dead along the River Thames banks in London. This follows sightings of a common dolphin struggling against the tide last week.

The first dolphin was seen in distress from late Thursday morning and seemed to be battling with the strong currents. By Monday, a deceased dolphin was found on the riverbank near Chelsea Harbour Pier. Another lifeless dolphin was discovered at Greenwich, reported BBC News.

A Port of London Authority spokesperson told the PA news agency: "We are aware of reports of two dolphins that sadly died. We are working with the Cetaceans Stranding Investigation Programme and will recover the animals."

READ MORE: The beautiful 'village' in South London that feels like you're in the countryside

The British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR), which was tracking the dolphin on Thursday, was contacted for more information.

On Friday, Julia Cable, operations director at the BDMLR, said: "(The dolphin) was still in the area throughout the evening but its behaviour wasn't really changing so we didn't continue monitoring it too late.

"It's too far really for a dolphin to be up the river. It wasn't really moving very far, it did appear to be struggling with the tide."

Mary Tester, Thames area co-ordinator with the BDMLR, told BBC London there were a 'lot of different theories' on why dolphins were 'coming down the river'.

One explanation, she said, was the improved water quality of the Thames over recent years, which had increased the level of fish that dolphins preyed on.

If you spot a dolphin in the Thames or any other inland waterway, the BDMLR is urging you alert them and avoid chasing it in boats or canoes.

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

London Underground photos show corridor frozen in time after being sealed shut for 60 years

London Underground photos show corridor frozen in time after being sealed shut for 60 years

While posters on the Tube are still a common sight, they looked much cooler in the 50s

The Tube's been about for 161 years now, and in that time it's undergone a host of pretty massive changes. And as it's developed, so too has the city around it.

Being the sprawl that it is, there are plenty of little bits of trivia surrounding the Tube, as well as older elements that have fallen through the cracks. While most of the subterranean network has been brought along with the times, there are some exceptions.

In the case of Notting Hill Gate, a tunnel has been frozen in time, and was forgotten for more than half a century.

READ MORE: The London Underground station where its name is spelled differently on signs

At the time known simply as Notting Hill, the station underwent extensive redevelopment in the late 1950s to bring it up to date with the old passenger lifts that brought commuters to and from the platforms removed and escalators installed instead.

After this change was made the passageways that once led to the lifts were rendered useless and sealed off, along with a room-size time capsule of 1950s adverts, movie, and theatre posters.

Half a century later in 2010 during routine maintenance these tunnels were stumbled across once again, revealing a treasure trove of fascinating artwork.

Ranging from toothpaste ads to David Niven movie posters you can have a look yourself at the colourful array of imagery workers found that day in our gallery below.

Love the Tube with a passion? Sign up to MyLondon's London Underground newsletter for all the latest news, analysis and trivia HERE.

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

The beautiful park that feels like the countryside despite being next to 1 of the busiest London Underground stations

The beautiful park that feels like the countryside despite being next to 1 of the busiest London Underground stations

Camley Street Natural Park may ironically boast a name that hints at the urban, situated just off a busy road, yet it astonishingly offers a slice of tranquillity amidst the hubbub of London.

London is full of surprises, constantly challenging even the most well-seasoned city-goers, but finding a nature reserve just a stone's throw from the hustle and bustle of King's Cross feels like unearthing a secret too delightful to be real.

Yet, this hidden gem is indeed as real as it gets.

READ MORE: The hidden garden where you'll feel like you're in Japan more than West London

No caption
Camley Street pond. Credit: Wikimedia

Described as a wonderland of "woodland, grassland and wetland habitats including ponds, reedbed and marshy areas" by the London Wildlife Trust who are custodians of this precious patch of green, Camley Street Natural Park provides an unexpected pastoral retreat.

Home to a vast array of wildlife, this park has served the community since 1985, though its roots trace much further back. Originally part of the Middlesex woodlands, it rested on London's fringes through the 17th century but now claims pride of place as an inner-city sanctuary.

No caption
Camley Street pond features a different type of Canada Goose. Credit: Wikimedia

Industrialisation inevitably spelled the end for the Middlesex woodlands, paving the way for coal drops along the canal and railways, connecting the capital to the North. The park's past adds a layer of historical intrigue to its rich ecological tapestry.

Camden 's once-forgotten slice of nature has witnessed a remarkable resurgence in the 21st century. Initially falling into disuse, Camden Council, swayed by the London Wildlife Trust's fervent campaign, spared the land from redevelopment, opting instead to craft an urban park.

Get the most exciting London events and new bars and restaurants sent straight to your phone

You can sign up to get the most exciting events to the new bars and restaurants in London sent straight to your WhatsApp from the MyLondon team.

To sign up, you need to already have WhatsApp. All you need to do is click this link and select 'join community'.

No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the MyLondon team.

We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.

If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose 'exit group'.

If you’re curious, you can read our privacy notice.

Click here to sign up for alerts.

Now revitalised with a £2.5 million upgrade completed in 2021, this two-hectare wonder houses more than just flora and fauna; a cafe and a learning centre now stand amidst the natural splendour.

Reflecting on the transformation, Patrick Barkham penned: "The story of the park's creation, survival and rebirth is a powerful example of the importance of urban havens for wildlife and people," commemorating its grand reopening.

A hop on the Tube takes you to a miraculous reserve featuring ponds that are home to both regal swans and the shy kingfisher, reed beds flanking robust cherry trees, and a secluded island a metropolitan gem only a train ride away.

Stay up to date with London's most exciting events, newest restaurants and latest deals with our What's On newsletter, Going Out Out. You can sign up HERE.

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Woman dies after Fulham flat fire breaks out in early hours of morning

Woman dies after Fulham flat fire breaks out in early hours of morning

A woman has died in a West London fire. A flat caught fire on Ongar Road in Fulham in the early hours of the morning on Thursday (August 1). Firefighters raced to the home at 4.07am and the fire was under control 40 minutes later.

Most of a flat across the first and second floors of a converted end-of-terrace house was damaged by fire. Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters from Fulham, Kensington, Hammersmith, Wandsworth, Tooting and Chelsea fire stations attended.

READ MORE: South London gang members loaded up on guns and ammo for funeral of friend shot dead in Brixton

However despite their best efforts and that of London Ambulance Service paramedics, the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. It's not the only death the capital has seen recently in a fire.

Robert Price, 76, was rescued from a mid-terraced house last Sunday (July 28), but was pronounced dead at the scene outside the property. The fire had ripped through half of the ground floor.

A 17-year-old boy was subsequently charged with murder and arson with intent to endanger life on Tuesday, July 30. He appeared in custody at Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, July 31 and was remanded in custody. He appeared at the Old Bailey earlier today (August 2).

And on July 13 three children died in an East Ham house fire. They are 7-year-old boy Muhammad Hanan Malik, 11-year-old girl Aayat Malik and 13-year-old boy Nakash Malik.

Their parents Khurram Malik and Naumana Gul Khan spoke of their children: "Your lives were a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure. May you rest in peace in God's heaven." A funeral was held for the three children on Monday (July 29).

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

North London borough littered with broken roads and footpaths has extra £6m set aside to sort them

North London borough littered with broken roads and footpaths has extra £6m set aside to sort them

A North London council has approved plans to spend an extra £6m on resurfacing the roads and footways in the borough. The measure will include rolling out the new ‘pothole squad’ with machines to repair and refill the many holes that have become a nuisance for drivers and pedestrians quicker and make them longer lasting.

The budget was approved at a meeting of Harrow Council’s Cabinet last week (July 25), with the most urgent defects to be prioritised first. The local authority agreed a £240,000 programme earlier in the year to fix some of the worst affected roads but the additional £6m will be a ‘boost’ towards a wider resurfacing scheme.

Cabinet member for finance and highways, Cllr David Ashton, outlined the council’s aim to ‘cosmetically improve’ the look of the borough but making sure ‘the worst roads are targeted first’. He also suggested the additional funds will allow for resurfacing works to be carried out on roads which didn’t meet the criteria for pothole repairs.

READ MORE: Beloved Greenwich cake shop to leave London after 14 years in 'bittersweet' move

Pothole Pro, Harrow
The £165,000 Pothole Pro JCB machine can repair potholes in as little as eight minutes

Cllr Ashton said: "One of the problems is what looks like a pothole to you and me is not a pothole because road surfaces differ - some are concrete with an overlay of tarmac and others aren’t. So, you might have what looks like a hole in the road but it doesn’t meet the so-called specifications."

It was announced in January that the council's highways contractor, JB Riney, will assemble a new 'pothole squad' to find and fix potholes quickly throughout the borough. By using the new £165,000 Pothole Pro JCB machine, repair work can be carried out in as little as eight minutes.

The council will now explore using other machinery, such as for thermal road repairs, which it claims are 'great for the environment, cost effective and get the job done quickly'. With this type of equipment there is minimal waste, the materials are recycled, and the repairs last longer.

Last year more than 1,500 potholes were repaired across the borough. The council said this new financial boost will ‘complement the additional funding and also the road resurface works which have already been planned in’. Harrow’s more than 450km of road network and 930km of footways have been assessed for ‘damage and defects’ - with this condition data set to dictate the prioritisation of repairs.

Cllr Ashton said: "Residents always tell us about the state of some of our roads. This last year we’ve done a lot to repair roads in disrepair, but we know more needs to be done. That’s why we’re investing more to permanently fix potholes and defects. Using state of the art machinery, and our dedicated pothole squad, will help to fix even more potholes and ensure long lasting repairs."

Don't miss out on the biggest stories from across the city: Sign up to MyLondon's The 12 HERE for the 12 biggest stories each day

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Catching A Killer: What happened to Kyron Lee and where his killers are now

Catching A Killer: What happened to Kyron Lee and where his killers are now

At 9pm tonight (Wednesday, July 31), Channel 4 is broadcasting Catching A Killer. The 90-minute programme details what happened to 21-year-old Kyron Lee, who was killed in Slough in 2022.

The Channel 4 series follows police as they investigate murders and search for missing people. At around 8.50pm on the fateful night, Kyron was cycling when a car slammed into him, knocking him off.

He bravely got up and tried to run away, but his killers chased him into nearby Waterman Court and brutally stabbed and slashed him with machetes or large knives. They then made their getaway in the same car used to knock Kyron off his bike.

READ MORE: EastEnders fans fuming as they 'work out' 40th anniversary murder plot after huge clue

Kyron was pronounced dead at the scene at around 9.45pm that evening. Four men were found guilty of his murder in 2023.

Khalid Nur, 22, of Graylands Close, Slough, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 26 years. Mohammed Elgamri, 20, of Carter Close, Windsor, was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years in prison.

Yaqhub Mussa, 23, of Daylesford Grove, Slough, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 23 years and nine months after pleading guilty to murder. And Fras Seedahmed, 19, of Surrey Avenue, Slough, will serve a minimum of 23 years before being eligible for release.

Ahmad Hassan, 24, of Blackwell Court, Slough was sentenced to four years imprisonment for assisting an offender. Fuad Nur, aged 27, of Graylands Close, Slough was given a year-long sentence suspended for 18 months, 150 hours of unpaid work and £2,000 in costs, for failing to provide his mobile phone PIN when told to do so.

Hassan was found innocent of two further counts of assisting an offender, while Nur was found not guilty of one count of assisting an offender. Ilias Almallah, 22, of Eltham Avenue, Slough, was also found guilty of murder in March and Mohamed Abdulle, 21, of Kenbury Drive, Slough, previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to causing grievous bodily harm with intent in March this year.

‘It is clear they intended to cause serious harm’

Det Ch Insp Mike Roddy, of Thames Valley Police, said: "There was a history of violence between this group of males and another group. It is clear to me that they intended to cause serious harm that evening.

"They utilised a stolen car, armed themselves with weapons, used clothing to mask their identities, took steps to distance themselves from the vehicle and attempted to avoid prosecution.

'Kyron was more than my son, he was my rock'

Donna Lesner, Kyron’s mum, said on the day her son's killers were sentenced: “I want to start by thanking the police, the CPS and the Courts for all of the work that has gone into making those responsible for killing my son to be held accountable for their actions. Following a number of lengthy trials, I can now grieve for my son and finally let Kyron rest in peace.

“But today is not a day to celebrate. There are no winners here and even though justice has been served no amount of years served will ever bring my son’s life back. I’ve come to accept that I may never get the answers as to why they decided to take Kyron’s life in such a senseless, brutal act of violence that fateful Sunday evening.

"My only hope is that one day they understand the severity of their decisions and show some sort of remorse for taking my son's life.

“Kyron was an amazing young man, he had such a beautiful caring and selfless nature. I had so many hopes and dreams for his future and was excited at the thought of having grandchildren by him.

"There are many other things that Kyron will never get to do or be which is why it’s so much more painful. Kyron had so many talents that he will never get to master.

“Kyron was more than my son, he was my rock, my biggest supporter and he made me proud to be his mother. Even in his death Kyron touched so many people’s lives and I’m thankful to everyone who has shown love and support for Kyron.

"We can now let Kyron rest in peace. Kyron’s memory will forever live on with his big cheeky smile and wink that we all loved and knew. Smiling back at you son.”

Get the biggest stories from around London straight to your inbox. Sign up to MyLondon's The 12 HERE for the 12 biggest stories each day.

Adblock test (Why?)



(Feed generated with FetchRSS)